Thursday, May 7, 2009

Welp, thats my cue!

Hello boys and girls. Today Id like to talk to you about cue's. No, not pool cue's silly, although while we are on the subject I did come in 2nd in the CCSU Female Pool Tournament my senior year of college (*SIGH* There were only 2 girls). My main man Webby defines a cue as a hint; intimation; guiding suggestion or a sensory signal used to identify experiences, facilitate memory, or organize responses. You see children, my 7 years of college actually did teach me a few things that apply to real life, and one interesting thing I learned in my 'Body Weight Regulation' class was this: Your emotions and outside stimuli control your actions so so so much more than you can even be aware of. Examples? Oh I got examples.

1. Lets say you are rockin out. You're running. The song stops. Suddenly, you hear your heavy breathing. You may not be aware of this, but when the song stops, that elicits an unconscious cue that it is also time for YOU to stop.

2. We all know this. Boredom, depression, etc. make us eat more to fill an emotional void. When we are born we are born with the inante skill of "Intuitive Eating". We are fed. We stop when we are full. Simple as that. As we grow up we lose all control of that. We overeat due to many things, but my kryptonite is social pressure. Our society puts a great deal of importance on the use of food to celebrate and bond. Many of you runners/athletes can empathize with me when I say it is EXHAUSTING to try to explain to your friends that you arent drinking, or that you just WANT.A.SALAD. It is honestly easier to eat the steak, pound the shots and purge it up later. Seriously.

3. Environmental cues. Years ago, when I was a young broad, there was a time when 2 mi's was a lot for me. I would get to the bottom of this hill, right at .5 miles, and stop and stretch. Half assed and lethargic, I would jog for a bit, stop. Fix my ponytail, stop. Pretend I pulled a hammy, stop. Repeat as necesary. Well, Ive noticed that when I run this exact route, I feel this undying, very strong urge to stop running right at the .5 mi mark at the bottom of this hill. I see this hill, and just that alone makes me feel like Im tired. Even though Im not.

Anyway, my point is simple. Mind over matter. We dont realize it, but our brain is doing anything it can to tell us to stop running. Our bodies are programmed to be in the rest state. Use the least amount of energy for maximal gain. Physiological efficiency and all that good stuff. But, we have to override the hater signals! Change the songs before they end! Say no to shots of Jim Beam! (AHEM, Dad), and run on new routes (without lots of stop signs, which also evoke the urge to... you guessed it.... stop).

Dare to be aware! Oh the places we will go. There's a lot of literature on this kind of stuff if you are interested. People study the damndest things.

This is why I put my running shorts on my bed. Nap no more!
Ergogenic just sounds cool.
Drop it like its hot? You got it

No comments: