Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Im sorry.

It appears that since Ive posted, a dark grey and very ominous cloud has drifted over my fellow blog minions; and for that- Im sorry. The people need me. If they cant turn to me, who can they turn to? What I just did was rude and thoughtless. It would be analogous to Barack Obama standing up in front of America, during a scheduled press conference and saying.

"(Sighhhhhh) I Just dont feel like it today, guys. I had a bad day, my puppy isnt eating, Its really hot out here, I didnt get much sleep, and Im just over it. Whats the point anyway. I hate being President".

I GUESS I can come up with something slightly more positive to say about the stupid Salmon River Run.

Around Mile 4, I was doing the horizontal shuffle (running more in a lateral movement, rather than actually advancing anywhere remotely forward) and a kind of amazing thing happened. I decided to give up on purposefully selecting my songs in an attempt to find any sort of inspirational beat and gave up. I just succumbed to whatever was going to come on because it didnt matter anyways. Well, it just so happened that a song I had actually just added the night before came on. I had never listened to it in its entirety before, but out of just sheer exhaustion, just let it run its course. (Pun not intended).

That song was Mates of State-Goods. Not your typical running song, but it was that day. As the indie soundwaves made their way into my cochlear business, I found myself actually happy to be running and remember having a minute of pure euphoria and was covered in goosebumps. (Later I realized this was probably the early stages of Heat Stroke, but it was cool nonetheless). As I was coasting down those trails, I thought to myself, this is why you run, and proclaimed to George, "Im back!"

George later told me that it was my very abrubt proclamation that carried him the rest of the way. There is a quote that Ive heard once that says, "Four legs can run longer than two" and
this is the epitome of that. You dont really realize how much your mood can affect your running partners mood, and how much you feed off eachothers energy. So when you pick a running partner make sure its someone who you can trust to carry you through the hard times as well as someone who is big enough to block you while youre squatting down to pee in a pile of poison ivy ridden leaves.

1 comment: