Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Getting ahead of the game

So while my colleagues were busy taking on the Salmon River Run this past Saturday, I slept quietly in my feather topped mattress like the cuddly little puppy I am. I awoke around 10, stretched my paws and headed to the kitchen for my ritualistic cup of coffee, cream, no sugar. Upon stepping onto the balcony of my princess tower, I noticed it was cloudly, hot and arguably one of the most humid days of 2009 thus far. There was no way I was going to run in this shit. Plus my knee was really sore as usual. Its actually kinda cool because after working out, my left knee is significantly hotter to the touch than my right. Anyways, I had an inner argument about running for probably about an hour, just enough time for the caffeine to peak. To combat my split personalities on running, I decided to at least get my gear on to help persuade me away from the dark side. Holy shit, that was half the battle right there. I mean, how big of a pussy would I be if I just sat inside for another hour, took my running gear off and saddled up for a Keeping Up With the Kardashians marathon? NO! That was not going to happen. So as the battle raged on, I decided to map out a run to persuade me even more. Top that off with 20 minutes of serious stretching and a coating of BioFreeze and I was ready to hit the streets. And hit them I did. I nailed 3.27 miles in 27 minutes and you know what the best part was? My knee didn't feel like it was going to give out which means, yup, you guessed it, I'm turning into quite the runner here folks! So the lesson learned here kids is that this whole running thing is mostly in your head. If I believe I can run, than I can, nuff said. Oh, and training has a little to do with it I guess but if you put your mind to it, you can do it!

No comments: