Thursday, May 14, 2009

There's a reason cell phones don't fit in running shorts

So as I'm sure you've already read, mine and Amanda's run last night was brutal, nay, it was absolute medieval punishment. In fact, I would have gladly taken impalement right around mile 2.

Ok, ok, I know I'm exaggerating here people, duh. But seriously, I was miserable. Contrary to my little friend, the first mile was not all that bad for me. I felt pretty good and it was nice out and I thought my running tunes were pretty good. And then I hit what is referred to as the "proverbial wall." Right as we begun our ascent of what seemed to be the highest peak in Middletown, I started to lose it. My calves felt like they were burning and battery acid was running through my veins. I tried to keep my breathing regular but I couldn't even tell if that was helping. And after we finished climbing our fourth hill in a row, I was begging for mercy on the inside. I kept thinking, its such a good thing I don't have mobile, email, telegraph, or shit, even teleporting access because I surely would have somehow found a way to be picked up around mile 3. At this point, Amanda and I aren't even speaking and she is about 2 feet ahead of me. My spirits are down and my heartrate is up. I keep thinking, what am I going to do when it comes marathon time? And then I remembered that I am fully capable of doing this, I've done it before and I'll do it again. Running uphill isn't going away anytime, in fact, its going to get worse. I'm moving back home to my parents in a week to Wisconsin and they live in what seems to be the highest point in the city. The run we just did in Middletown started out at an elevation of 102 feet and the highest elevation we reached was 230 feet (above sea level duh). God, my mapping skills are really coming in handy here. Anyways, the relief was about 450 feet. Ok, sorry for getting side tracked but mapmyrun.com is really cool. Back to the matter at hand, where I'm going to be living is going to be even worse, the same 4 mile run is about 600 feet in relief, the minimum elevation is 614 feet and the maximum is 774 feet. Hopefully you all took Geology 110 and can figure out that only 160 feet of elevation with relief of 600 feet in 4 miles means your ass is running basically up and down hills...educate yourselves!

Now before I begin to get elevation shock, I have to remember that somedays are uphill battles and somedays are downhill battles...today is going to be a downhill battle. A two mile downhill battle. I may be defying the laws of physics, but I only plan on running downhill today.

No comments: