Thursday, April 23, 2009

This might or might not work.

I always thought blogs were silly, but then the more I thought about it, the more I realized that its like an electronic diary! I dont even like diaries, but I think I dont like them because I hate hand writing things out. Problem solved! Anwyays, this might or might not work to keep us motivated for the task at hand, which is.... (cue the drums)

So, Krystina and I are planning on running the Hartford Marathon this year, and Im secretly (but now publicly) scared. Here's why.

1) After a devastating Tanya Harding style blow to the knee during one of our very elite co-ed soccer games, Krystina recently had surgery on her ACL. Actually, it was slightly less dramatic, but the end result was the same.

2) I get crazy ideas in my head and are very gung ho about them, and then lose interest almost as quickly as it took me to conjur up the said crazy idea. In other words, its no secret that I have ADD, but its also no secret that IF I put my mind to something, Im an upstoppable force of 5 feet nature. Which brings me to my next point.

3) Im not naturally "made" to run a marathon. Im short. Im a natural born sprinter. I like eating cake. I dont like making plans (Long runs would take up a lot of time). My dad said my toes look like sausage links and my arches are really high. My podiatrist didnt necessarily disagree.

Anyway, the point of this blog is to keep sort of a diary of mileage, emotions, anectdotes, and other necessary information to keep me and Krystina motivated to make it all the way to 26.2 miles on 10.10.09 (D Day). Now that Ive re-read this post it appears that any psychologist would have a field day with this. Ive basically list listed reasons why we SHOULDNT run the marathon, but no reasons why we SHOULD! Negative, no more!

AHEM!

1) I have already done two 1/2 Marathons and the New Haven Road Race (12.something miles). I know what its like to feel like you cant do something, work for it, and then just do it. I can totally do this!

2) Krystina did the Hartford Half with me last year, so we have both already done a 1/2 Marathon together. We are familiar with eachothers running styles, etc. and have no problem saying to eachother, "lets go fatty, pick up the freakin pace".

3) My Masters was in Health Promotion and concentrated on Kinesiology. Not only does this give me more insight into understanding training and how the body works, but people who are in this field dont gravitate to this field for no reason at all. Because of this, I am surrounded by TONS of amazing people who most would consider overcompulsive exercisers, but who I just consider awesome. They know stuff. They are kind of big deals. They are the type of people who would punch me in the face and call me a baby if I complained.

4) My bumper has a scratch on it. Its $700 to fix it. What would be really awesome is just to cover that up with a 26.2 bumper sticker. I mean, its just economical at this point.

No comments: