Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Running runway

Typically I like to jog with a friend; afterall, its someone to talk to and push you through your route and maybe even encourage you to take the long way back home after you've made your loop. But due to the heat and the 5K Amanda ran in earlier, I was forced to run alone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a baby about this and I am fully capable of motivating myself however, I have self doubts when hitting the streets solo. When I was younger I used to see people running through my neighborhood all the time and I can remember two people in particular. One was an older gentleman who was probably in his late 40's, early 50's at the time and he ran all the time, like every day, rain or shine. Despite his dedication to the sport, he still ran like a drunken duck...a full out waddle if you will. Then there was this other girl who would deck herself out in all Green Bay Packers gear which I will never fault anyone for, what can I say, she has good taste. Nevertheless, it wasn't her attire that was so eye catching but the way she would walk. She would literally bounce in every step and she looked like she was walking on a trampoline. So now its time to turn the mirror on myself and I wonder how strange I run. I try to catch glances of myself when I run past store fronts but the blinds in the windows or the stupid writing always screws up my line of sight. I think I look good but who knows, my face is always beet red and my arms always hang lifeless at my sides or at least I try to make them. Plus, I'm still in pain with my knee when I run so its hard to hide the stroke victim esque grimmace on my face. My ultimate goal is to look like I'm gliding down the runway when I get out there. Hair flowing, fierce look, skin glistening and all flawless...but half the time my hair has flyways and frizzies and I'm constantly sniffing. Maybe I'll wear some lip gloss before I head out tonight.

No comments: