Thursday, April 23, 2009

It works, and we need more followers

I have just carefully scrutinized Amanda's post and have decided that although her gramatical errors are few, she is dead on here. First though, let me paint the picture of this Tanya Harding-esque blow to my knee:

Here I am, 2 minutes left in the game and we're down by one goal against Wethersfield FC (they are confirmed to be a bunch of assholes). Here I go sprinting after a loose ball like the star soccer player I am when all of the sudden some 200 pound gorilla comes charging out of the net like a force of nature not known to man. He lowered his gargantuan shoulders and nailed me sideways sending me to the floor in agony. At this point, I am screaming in pain and I all I can think of is, "How the hell am I going to run the Hartford Half?" I mean, god damn it, I had been hard core training for a little over 5 weeks at this point and I was ready! So I wiped the pellets off my face and hobbled to the sidelines, pulled my shit together, slapped on some lip gloss and put myself in the mind set that, "Yes, I will run still!"


Scene: Race Day Hartford, CT

As an unregistered runner, I felt a little scandalous ducking under the ropes and getting in the starting line but hey, I don't live by any rules but my own. And with Amanda by my side and looking down at her smiling child like face, I knew we were doing this, torn ACL or not. 13.1 miles, 2 hours 20 minutes, and a few cat calls in the ghetto later, we were crossing the finishing line!

Fast forward now through 6 months of crutches, bitching, braces, more bitching, rehab, and oh yeah, for the first 3 days after my surgery my mom had to help me bathe. That old bird hasn't seen my naked ass in almost 23 years I'm pretty sure and let me tell you, it takes you down a peg or two when your mom comments on your ass cellulite. Now, this is all motivation to get me going and take that little nugget Amanda with me.

So training most likely began yesterday when I ran 1.6 miles for the first time and dare I say, six months! It hurt a little but pain goes away with time, hard work, and pain killers.

I'm doing the full in October whether I like it or not. Plus Amanda and Pizzi are excellent motivators when we're running and Amanda says, "Krystina, you can't talk to me for the next mile." What can I say, I can't shut up when I need to. I'll update as the training continues and when we finish the 5K in Glastonbury.

No comments: