Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mind Games

Holy 9 days since my last post. You guys must be all cramped up from refreshing your browser. Well, click no more, Im back! Ugh, yes Ill wait while you go grab some ice...

...Im not really sure why I havent blogged for over a week, but Im going to go ahead and blame it on the Goose, as the majority of the hip hop world seems to be doing. No, in all seriousness its just boring to write about random 3-4 mi runs. Nothing much to report on the running front. I have yet to do a longer run, but DEFINITELY plan on getting that in this weekend. We havent really decided if we are going to do the Fairfield Half on the 28th, but thats only because there is another race (Chatham Road Race) the same weekend and we arent quite sure which one is going to trump the other and steal its queen (ie, me!).

Ive been doing a lot of repeats-uphill, which is really strange. Everyone knows I hate inclines; I tend to lean towards the reclines of "clines". I am aware, however, that this is the best thing I can do for my running right now (short of getting those longer runs in). You know what they say! Smile til you mean it! Do it til you love it! Pain is weakness leaving the body! And all that good stuff. I guess I just love self-torture, but the truth is... its kind of working!

I started out small. Just running a blocks at a time uphill, but now Ive noticed that I can run farther without wanting to intubate myself and apply 20ml's of O2 on a non-rebreather mask. Go me! It is a fact that you cant spell IMPROVEMENT without PROVE. Just had to prove to my little legs that I could do it. Cheesiness aside, ive been using a little trick that I read somewhere (source unknown). Apparantly, its NOT okay to recite to yourself "Man, hills are the worst, No, No, No, I need to stop, I hate hills, Hills are hard, etc.". I Cant Remember et al., says that it is actually better to choose a positive mantra and repeat it to yourself and let the positive vibes carry you up the hill. That way you focus on the phrase and not the hill. Little mind game comin at ya.

Ive used a few phrases, mostly derived from popular hit songs, such as the Black Eyed Peas "Lets go, Lets go" or The Kook's "Shine on". Ive also made up a few of my own, like "Rock it", "Kill it", "Beast it", "Own it", and have even stooped so remedial as to simply chant "RUN RUN RUN". Whatever works at the time, really! I think the point is, that no matter what you choose, as long as it overrides the "NO NO NO" in your head, its olive branches and gold medals for you, my friend.

Anyway, my plan is to do 6-7 mi this weekend and be more committed to maintenance runs throughout the week. Oh, how could I have forgotten! I got new kicks! They are SO AWESOME! But, Ill write about that tomorrow. But, just know. They are phenomenonal. Like, mind blowing.

No comments: