Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Acute to Chronic. "Wah" to "Wah Wah"

WTF. What I originally thought to be ExerciseTV induced acute "soreness", has launched its ugly face, grew two horns and has metamorphed into what appears to now be CHRONIC BACK PAIN. I cant think of anything worse Id like to have. Being a mere 5' 0.5'' tall, my back makes up like, 4 feet of me! I am in complete agony and want to die. I cried myself to sleep last night. Okay, I hate complaining (thats not even remotely true), but you just need to get the drift of how severe this is.

But, the show must go on so, yes, I did complete my scheduled 3mi run last night. Not without interruption though. First, as Im getting ready to roll and test run my new cool double wicked socks, I hear footsteps coming up my 3rd floor apartment. Hello Robber? Now's not a good time. Nope, my good friend Mike Gugliotti! Pleasant surprise! Chat, chat, chat... Im off for my run. I get about 1.5 mi in and I hear incessant car horn beeping. Now, being as drop dead gorgeous as I am (kidding), this is nothing Im not used to, but then the car stopped. Annoyed I stop to see what the fuss and commotion is about-- BEHOLD! Robbie Lane and Pat Bordieri!... insert another .5 mi...Oh HELLO ex-cousin Erica and your new boyfriend, nice to meet you!....insert another 4 steps... oh HELLO Adam Boccalette smoking a bogie in the front yard.

*Sigh* Such is the life of being Ms. North End. Ive consulted with my motivational coach Mr. Kevin Witkowski and he has suggested that I run elsewhere-- like, in another town. Laughing, I shrugged this off with my half functional back, then stopped. He kinda has a point. So now Ive decided to take a different way home from New Haven and take a little detour to Wadsworth Park! Nice trails and perfect for when it gets more hot out. This also avoids the tiny problem of me wanting to fall limp into bed as soon as I get home from work. A TWO-FER!

So my game plan for the back. The issue with back pain is that it that in something like 85% of cases, the origin cannot be found. I am in no mood to be parading about Middlesex County, going to doctor to doctor, co pay to co pay, just to tell me that. I think it actually stemmed from not stretching my legs properly, which led to my back over-compensating, blah blah blah. So Im going to start doing yoga to remedy this. Actually, I started this morning! In my cube! Imagine my friend/co-worker Sarah's surprise when she came to my cube to talk business and Im in downward doggie position. Hilarious. Teary eyed, I proclaimed, "Stop making fun of me! I cant even bend over and touch my toes."

But my back up plan is to make an appointment with a chiropractor (even though I dont believe in them), JUST IN CASE something else more severe is going down in my sciatica business. Ill keep you posted on my pain level, oh dont you worry. Until I know what it is though, figure Ill keep running. Yeah, thats the safest thing to do. 5 mi tonight!

No comments: